Thursday, October 18, 2012

Science in a Bottle #1


I mentioned before that I have been reading Wonderful Rooms Where Children can Bloom by Jean R. Feldman PhD.  I found in this book a wonderful idea for “science in a bottle” activities. So I have decided to make a number of these (I am not sure how many, that will depend on the children’s interest and how many bottles I can amass) I will put them on here as I create them . . .

Number One:

Wave in a bottle:

This is a pretty basic one. You put about half coloured water (I went with Blue this time) and half with oil (any kind will do) in a bottle. I than hot glued the lid shut since my kids would have it open in a minute! You can wave it gently back and forth or shake the spit out of it. The kids in my class seemed to like watching me gently move it back and forth but when I handed it to them they would shake it like nothing else and then watch as the oil and water settled back into their layers. I can’t wait to make a whole collection of these!

Note: I am using the bottles from Bolthouse smoothies as they are something I like to drink but more importantly they are a good size, sturdy and they have a wide mouth that will allow me to be more varied in what I put in them. I am super particular about the bottles looking the same so I needed a kind that would work for more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment