Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Window Decorations


Recently I have been reading a wonderful book by Jean R. Feldman, PhD called Wonderful Rooms Where Children can Bloom! I have found it to be very inspirational and I am sure that there will be further entries inspired by her work in the weeks to come! I will warn that it is meant for grades k-2 so not all the ideas are appropriate for my preschoolers! I was inspired by her pages on decorating the room with fabric. In these pages she suggests using strips of fabric to divide areas of the room. I loved this idea but because of the layout and the fact we have a flat ceiling it is almost impossible to do this so I decided to blend the idea with her idea of hanging beads in the window and created . . .
All I did was go buy scarves at the dollar store (they were $1.25 each and I used two for the two windows) and sticks from our parking lot. I had a co-worker help me cut them up and tie them to the sticks. I then had the kids help me hang them up. They wanted to feel the scarves and the twine before I hung them on the window so we took a couple minutes discussing what each item felt like, how it looked and why I was hanging it from the window in the first place. Then they helped me by offering suggestions about height and placement while I taped the whole contraption to the window. When we were done they declared it “beautiful” and went back to their other activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment