Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pumpkin Playdough


We have needed to make play dough for a couple days now (the last batch was not great since for some reason it ended up very oily so we couldn’t wait to get rid of it!) so we decided to make it a science/cooking experience for the children and get their help. To add to the playdough experience I decided to add some pumpkin spice to the recipe since it is between Thanksgiving and Halloween this week! We needed to try out a new recipe since I usually do a cooked version and I wanted to so one that the children could be present for all of the making. So I gave this recipe a try . . .

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon food colouring

Mix all dry ingredients, add oil and boiling water with food colouring, mix well.

Store in an airtight container.

To add interest you can add glitter for a textural change, some aromatherapy scented oil for smell.
With some shaped cutters, rolling pin and some imagination your set for hours of fun.

It was great!!! I will defiantly be using it again! I was very happy it worked especially since 2-4 year olds are not known for their exact measuring skills! However once again the kids proved that you can’t plan for their reactions all the time! After mixing in the spice (Which I thought smelled good enough to eat) there was a chorus of “Yuck” “Disgusting” “Awful” and “Gross”!! I couldn’t believe it! Oh well you can’t win them all! I am hoping that when I put the playdough out again their opinion will change since I think (hope?) that their reaction was the fault of one of two who loudly voiced their objection right at the start and may have swayed the rest to object just to follow the crowd. We will have to see or I fear I will be making playdough again sooner that I hoped!    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment